Visiting hours for the Church from Monday to Saturday
Morning 7 am – 1 pm
Afternoon 2 pm to 6 pm
Sunday are 6 am to 6 pm
General Service: 9.30 am
morning service: 7 am
Address: Cathedral Compound, Medak, Telangana 502110, India
Medak Cathedral is the largest diocese in Asia
Medak Cathedral at Medak in Telangana, India, is one of the biggest houses of worship in India and has been the basilica church of the Diocese of Medak of the Church of South India since 1947. Initially worked by Charles Walker Posnett British Wesleyan Methodists, it was sanctified on 25 December 1924. The Medak ward is the single biggest bishopric in Asia and the second on the planet after the Vatican
The Church of South India Cathedral at Medak. It is one of the biggest houses of worship in Asia
Perspective on the raised area in Medak Cathedral
Medak Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop in Medak for the Church of South India (involving Wesleyan Methodist, Congregational and Anglican minister social orders - SPG, WMMS, LMS, CMS, and the Church of England). The Cathedral is the biggest of all places of worship in Telangana. The Cathedral additionally observes over the Diocese of Medak, which is the single biggest see in Asia and the second biggest bishopric on the planet. It was blessed on 25 December 1924. Worked by the British Wesleyan Methodists, the Cathedral is currently under the purview of the Church of South India.
The house of prayer was worked under the stewardship of Reverend Charls Walker Posnett who was driven by the aphorism My best for my Lord. Rev. Posnett touched base in Secunderabad in 1895. He previously served among the British officers at Trimullghery. Unsatisfied with the military work, he propelled forward into towns. In the year 1896, Rev. Charles Walker Posnett visited a town called Medak and assembled a cabin there by remaining in dock cottage. There was no railroad course to Medak back then. The voyage of 60 miles (97 km) from Hyderabad must be done on horseback and Rev. Posnett could do it in multi day. There were then scarcely two hundred Christians in the entire of Medak zone. When he came to Medak, there was a little tiled house as the spot of love. As the quantity of Christians expanded, he felt the requirement for extending the congregation building. Rev.Posnett before long raised a moderate structure on that very spot sufficiently only for the Christian people group inside the Mission Compound in the customary state of a congregation. He thought it was anything but a commendable spot for perfect love. He began building the present Cathedral in 1914 on a rambling 1,000 sections of land (4.0 km2) of land in Ghusnabad territory. The establishments for the new church were laid in the start of the year 1914.During the early piece of the twentieth century, Medak area was reeling under starvation and Rev. Posnett so as to give aid to the enduring masses gave the majority work in the development of the congregation as opposed to running a free kitchen. The development take a shot at the church continued for a long time. The house of prayer was blessed in 1924 by Rev. Posnett communicating his appreciative gratitude to God for moderating the sufferings of the general population. At the point when a few Christian gatherings progressed toward becoming re-joined as the Church of South India, the congregation turned into the house of God church of the ward of Medak in October 1947.
The house of God is 100 ft (30 m) wide and 200 ft (61 m) long, and fits in with the Gothic Revival style. It can suit around 5,000 individuals at any given moment. The mosaic tiles were imported from Britain and are of six distinct hues. Italian artisans from Bombay were locked in for laying the enlivening deck. Huge columns worked with fine-slashed and sharp looking dim stone help the display and the entire structure. The top of the congregation is made sound-verification by methods for empty wipe material, and has a noteworthy style of vaulting. The outside of the vaulting has the state of squares. The ringer tower is 175 ft (53 m) high. (It is said that when the nizam of Hyderabad found that the congregation would be higher than the Charminar, he made a vain offer to have its stature decreased.)
The greatest fascination of the Cathedral are its recolored glass windows portraying various scenes from Christ's life – Ascension behind the special raised area, Nativity in the west transept, and Crucifixion in the east transept. The windows were planned by Sir. O. Salisbury of England. The recolored glass windows were introduced at various periods. The chancel window delineating the climb was introduced in 1927, two years after the house of prayer was built.The recolored glass was organized by the local of the town Mr. Peram Alexander . The nativity window was introduced in 1947 and the torturous killing window was introduced in 1958.
Medak Cathedral is 97kms from Hyderabad